Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Vintage Scoreboard

My husband and I were driving down Main street in Tishomingo, Oklahoma last week when out of the corner of my eye I caught this old scoreboard on the side of the road . . . right in the middle of town.


I asked my husband to pull over so I could get some photos.  I've been told it's best not to take pictures in the middle of the day because of the poor lighting.  I even had a professional phtographer tell me once that he doesn't even carry his camera during certain hours because of the harsh lighting.  Well, you never know what you'll see in the middle of the day that you may want to remember.  If you don't have your camera you can't.  If you do have your camera you can.  I played with the editing and did some cross processing.  Not sure how well I like it, but it works Okay.


We asked some of the locals where this scoreboard came from and how in the world it got in the middle of town.


The story goes that this was the original scoreboard from the high school football field.  We're not sure exactly how old it is, but probably from the fifties.  In the seventies, the high school got a new scoreboard, and for some unknown reason the old one was sent to the middle of town next to the Dairyland.  As you can see from this next picture, the scoreboard faces a parking lot on Main street.  The white building to the left is the old Dairyland.


I was fascinated by this old scoreboard.  I was intrigued by the old blue lightbulbs and got excited when I realized they were Robin's Egg Blue which would fit into my Project 64 theme!  Anyway, one lady told us that after the new scoreboard was put in, the old one was lit up on main street to let the people in town know what was going on at the game.  I thought that was pretty cool, but then another man said it wasn't on all the time, but only during the state championship game.  Still fun either way!


Such a serendipitous moment to find a vintage scoreboard right in the middle of town!


Today I'm linking up with:

Project 64: Robin's Egg Blue
Outdoor Wednesday
Midweek Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment