Saturday, March 12, 2011

Icy Blue

One of the fun things we did while we were at Quartz Mountain on Valentine's weekend, was spend time at the lake trying to spy bald eagles.  The lake was frozen solid.   There had been a blizzard not long before and temperatures well below zero.  In the picture below it looks as if the area beyond the ice chunks is thawed, but the water in this entire picture is frozen. ~ One of the neat features of my camera is that the display/monitor swivels.  It can be pulled out and rotated in different directions.  I can then put it in Live View mode instead of using the view finder, and take pictures from different unreachable or difficult angles like this one.  The camera was almost on the wet ground and I didn't want to get my clothes wet and muddy by lying down there with it (which is what I would normally have done), but I did want a close up shot of the ice from that angle.  I simply put my camera on live view, flipped the monitor out so I could look down at my shot without having to get on the wet ground to look through the view finder, and then I snapped!


I mentioned bald eagles.  Well, we did see some from a distance, but I managed to get a bit closer to this Blue Heron.  The strongest zoom lens I have is a 55-200 so this was as close as I could get without disturbing him.  It was fun to watch lots of birds just standing all over the frozen lake.


We usually think of spending time at the lake in the summer, but there was something so beautiful and serene about being at the frozen lake in the middle of the day with the bright sun overhead.


Today I'm linking up with:

You Capture - Things That Start With L (Lake)
Simplicity - Weather (ice-freezing temps)
Midweek Blues
Outdoor Wednesday
Wordish Wednesday
Wordless/ful Wednesday
ABC Wednesday - F is for Frozen
Watery Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment